Private Landlords Consultation 2012
- Status: Closed
- Open date: 18th June 2012
- Close date: 6th July 2012
The Localism Act 2011 has introduced some significant changes to the way that social rented housing is allocated. The Act introduces reform in several areas, including:
- Reform of the way local authority housing registers are administered
- Reform of social housing tenancies
- Reform of some parts of the homelessness legislation, especially in the discharge of a Council's housing duties
As a result of these changes, the availability of social housing may be restricted for many and alternative accommodation in other sectors will be needed.
Lichfield District Council recognises that the private rented sector will have an important role to play and has already worked with private landlords in a number of areas.
- The Council hosts the Lichfield District Private Landlords Forum every quarter, where guest speakers are invited to speak on a variety of topics of interest to landlords.
- The Council has established a Rent Deposit Guarantee Scheme, to enable households who are homeless or threatened with homelessness, without sufficient funds for deposits or rent in advance to access private rented accommodation.
- The promotion of accreditation as a means of raising standards in the private rented sector.
- Acting as an intermediary between landlords and Housing Benefits, to ensure the processing of tenant's claims.
We are now looking to put this on a more formal basis by offering a service to private landlords that will enable them to identify suitable tenants and let their properties more easily. We are looking to provide a reliable and responsive service, which will include:
- Finding suitable long term tenants
- Sign ups
- Setting up direct debits
- Helping tenants with housing benefit claims
- Rent Deposit Guarantee
- On-going housing advice
If you are interested in learning about how you could work with the Council, please take 5 minutes to complete the questionnaire . We will then contact you to discuss how we can further develop our working relationship based on your questionnaire responses.
If you would like a paper copy of the questionnaire or have any questions please contact
Housing Options Officer
This consultation is now closed