The franciscan friary (The Friary)
The Friary was founded 1230. It was destroyed on the orders of Henry VIII in 1538 and little remains today of the monastery buildings.
The classical portico does not originate from the site. It was set up by the council in 1937 to frame the entrance to the excavated ruins of the Franciscan Friary.
The Clock Tower
At the end of the Friary is the Clock Tower. In the late 1800s a Clock Tower was constructed at the end of Bore Street following the idea of 'Big Ben' in London. The Tower stood here until 1927 when a new Friary Road was constructed and the clock was seen as a major obstruction. It was re-erected opposite Friary Gardens, where it remains.
Pages in Heritage trail
- 1. Lichfield Heritage Trail - an online tour
- 2. Design of the times (Bore Street)
- 3. City of philosophers (Breadmarket Street)
- 4. Markets and martyrs (The Market Square)
- 5. A close encounter (Dam Street)
- 6. Moses and the moggs (Minster Pool)
- 7. Promenades and pleasure gardens (Beacon Park)
- 8. Inns and outs (Bird Street)
- 9. You are here: The franciscan friary (The Friary)