Skip to content

Animal related licences

Changes to animal licensing

The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018, came into effect on 1 October 2018. It changes the current licensing arrangements for:

  • pet shops
  • animal boarding establishments  (commercial boarding kennels, catteries, home dog boarding, dog day care)
  • dog breeding establishments
  • riding establishments
  • keepers and trainers of performing animals (certificate of registration current requirement)

Existing licences remain in force for the remainder of their term, under the current regulations in place. However, renewal licences and all new licence applications since 1 October 2018, will be made under the new regulations. 

Anyone holding a licence under the existing regulations should receive a letter from us explaining the changes. Find out more about the new legislation on the Canine and Feline Sector Group website.

Application form and fees

If you wish to apply for licence, you will need to complete the standard introductory section and the declaration section regardless of the type of activity you wish to apply for.

In addition, you will then need to complete the relevant section or sections from the following:

If you have any questions, please email us for further information or call us on 01543 308735

Once you have completed your application form please return to us by email or post to:

Licensing Team, Lichfield District Council House, Frog Lane, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS13 6ZE

Please include the correct fee or contact us on 01543 308735 to pay the fee over the phone.

Dangerous and wild animals

You will need a licence if you wish to keep a dangerous wild animal as defined in the schedule of species attached to the  Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976. This list is extensive and includes all species of wildlife.

Call us on 01543 308735 for more information.

Zoo establishment licence

Any establishment which keeps animals for public display, (other than a circus or pet shop) will need a licence.

You must give us at least two months notice that you intend to apply for a zoo licence. You must also publish a notice that you intend to apply in at least one local and one national newspaper, display the notice at the planned zoo site and send a copy of the notice to us. Two months after the notification you can apply. Please remember, you may also require planning permission for a zoo. You can find additional information on the website. You can complete and submit your application online.

The fee you will pay depends on the information you supply in your application. Guidance on how to calculate the fee is given in the form and you will pay it online. 

The following supporting documents are required and can be uploaded:

  • site/location plan
  • plan showing proposed layout of the zoo
  • planning permission
  • animal accommodation plan
  • annotated drawing or plan of animal accommodation
  • entrances and exits plan
  • annotated drawing or plan of entrances and exits to the premises
  • stock list
  • press notice
  • public liability insurance certificate
  • employer's liability insurance certificate 

Services A - ZSee all services
Get in touch or visit...

Our location and travel details >>

Phone our contact centre: 01543 308 000
District Council House, Frog Lane, Lichfield, Staffs, WS13 6YY

If you need to contact a team direct, please visit our contacts page for team phone numbers and email addresses.

Opening times

Our main reception at Frog Lane in Lichfield is open Monday - Friday, 8.45am - 5.15pm. Our phone lines close at 5pm.