Skip to content

Street licences - general and special events

If you would like to sell goods from a stall or mobile unit on district street/laybys - either as a general trader or at a special event - you will need street trading licence, even if the land is private.

All streets in the district are consented (except the A38 where trading is prohibited) - this means trading may be permitted, subject to consent from us (in the form of a licence), and permission from the landowner (if the land is private).

Find out below out how to trade on our streets (as a general trader) or at a special event:

Apply to trade on our streets (general trader)

If you would like to trade on our streets (special event traders - please see below) you will need to apply for a street trading licence.

General trading - street trading fees
 Consent type Fees

Street trading fee for general traders (not at a special event)

£43 a day. £22 for additional days (if booked within the same financial year, at the same time).                

One year licence - for individual traders (such as pitches in laybys)

£1,181 (equivalent to £7.53 a day)

Apply to trade at street-based special events

If you would like to trade on our streets at a special event you will need to apply for a street trading licence. If you are an event organiser and want to apply for a special event subsidy, find out more.

  • To apply, fill in our special event - street trading application form. Please note, applications can take up to two weeks to process.
  • Select the special event you want to trade at from the drop down in the form - if the event is not listed it has not yet been registered as a special event, so please contact the event organiser.
  • If you are planning to sell food you need to be registered with the local council where your business is based, and have a minimum four star Food Standards Hygiene Rating (find out more). If you are not registered and your business is based in Lichfield District, find out how to register.
  • Remember, you may also need other licenses/permits - such as alcohol licenses (such as a TEN) and charity collection permits.
Special event - street trading fees
 Consent type Fees

Street trading fee for traders at approved special events

£21 for the first day and £13 for each subsequent day (if booked at the same time).

A-boards on the street

You don't need a licence for an A-Board outside your shop/business, but we have a code of practice for A-boards in the district that states how many A-Boards you can have and where you can place them.

Street cafes

You don't need street trading consent for a street cafe, but you do need planning permission. To find out more, visit the Planning Portal , email us about street cafes, or call us on 01543 308000.

Services A - ZSee all services
Get in touch or visit...

Our location and travel details >>

Phone our contact centre: 01543 308 000
District Council House, Frog Lane, Lichfield, Staffs, WS13 6YY

If you need to contact a team direct, please visit our contacts page for team phone numbers and email addresses.

Opening times

Our main reception at Frog Lane in Lichfield is open Monday - Friday, 8.45am - 5.15pm. Our phone lines close at 5pm.