Skip to content

Street licences

If you want to trade on streets in the district, whether you are trading from a layby or a city street, you may need consent from us. Find out more using the links below:

Back To Top

Selling goods from the street - on a stall or mobile unit

If you would like to sell goods from streets in the district (including lay-bys) you will need street trading consent.

All streets within Lichfield District are consented (except the A38 where trading is prohibited), which means trading may be permitted, subject to the granting of consent, and landowner permission (if the land is private).

Street trading consent fees
 Consent type Fees
Temporary fee - for individual street traders £43 a day. £22 for additional days (if booked within the same financial year at the same time).
Special event fee* - for events that have 10 or more stalls £33** a day. £15** for additional days (if booked at the same time for the same event).
One year licence - for individual traders (such as pitches in lay-bys) £1,181 (equivalent to £7.53 a day)

 ** The council currently subsidises special event street trading consent fees if the event fulfils the criteria set out below. From January 2019, the price will be £33 a day and £13 for any extra days as long as they are for the same event and booked at the same time. Of this, the council will subsidise £12 of the the first day's charge, so it will cost £21 after the subsidy.

Back To Top

Apply for a street trading consent

Fill in our online street trading consent application form - please note, applications can take up to two weeks to process.

If you are planning to sell food by the roadside, in lay-bys, or in any street within the district, you will also need to contact our food safety team on 01543 308725 for more information.

If you have any questions, find out more about street trading policy or call our environmental health team on 01543 308725.

Back To Top

*Special events and street trading

Street trading consent applies to special events that take place on streets in our district - including things like Lichfield Food Festival and the Festival Market, which both take place on Lichfield city streets.

If you are an event organiser and plan to bring a number of stallholders together at an event (based on district streets), your stall holders will each need to apply for street trading consent. The special event rate in the table above will apply which is £30 per stall for one day, and £15 per stall for additional days.

Please ask your traders to fill in our online street trading licence application form - applications can take up to two weeks to process.

We currently subsidise the street trading consent fees for special events that deliver significant economic benefit to the district. To qualify for a subsidy, an event must exceed ten stalls and meet a set of key criteria according to our street trading policy (see below).

Back To Top

Can I apply for a special event subsidy?

To benefit from subsidised street trading licence fees (which means the costs of the licenses for traders will be covered by us), the overall event organisers must formally request a subsidy from us well in advance of the event using our special event organisers application form. Please read our street trading policy before completing the form.

To qualify, the event/organisers must also be able to meet the following criteria:

  • The event must have a minimum of ten stalls.
  • The event organiser must be able to demonstrate the event will deliver economic benefits to the district.
  • Event organisers must have public liability insurance of at least £5 million per claim to cover the event.
  • The event organiser must provide a draft event management plan at least 6 months before the first day of the event.
  • The event organiser must submit their completed event management plan to us at least one month before the event. This includes:
    • risk assessments
    • insurance details
    • traffic management
    • stewarding provisions
    • emergency procedures
    • fire safety
    • additional street cleansing
    • plan and stall layout, etc.
  • A safety advisory group may be set up for larger events (if deemed necessary by us) and the event organiser must attend these meetings and take responsibility for agreed actions where necessary.
  • Event organisers must agree that they will promote the event and outline/agree the marketing they will deliver up front.
  • Where applicable, event organisers must provide a copy of the previous years’ accounts – as advised by us.
Back To Top

Alcohol, entertainment or charity collecting on the street

Remember, if you are running an event or trading from the street you may also need other licenses/permits - such as alcohol licenses (such as a TEN) and charity collection permits. If you are selling food, you will also need to have registered your food business.

Back To Top


You don't need a licence for an A-Board outside your shop/business, but we have a code of practice for A-boards in the district that states how many A-Boards you can have and where you can place them.

Back To Top

Street cafes

You don't need street trading consent for a street cafe, but you do need planning permission. To find out more, visit the Planning Portal , email us about street cafes, or call us on 01543 308000.

More on Street trading and special events

Services A - ZSee all services
Get in touch or visit...

Our location and travel details >>

Phone our contact centre: 01543 308 000
District Council House, Frog Lane, Lichfield, Staffs, WS13 6YY

If you need to contact a team direct, please visit our contacts page for team phone numbers and email addresses.

Opening times

Our main reception at Frog Lane in Lichfield is open Monday - Friday, 8.45am - 5.15pm. Our phone lines close at 5pm.