We are responsible for licensing hackney carriage and private hire vehicles and their drivers in the district, ensuring that vehicles are safe, comfortable and properly insured and that drivers are fit and proper to hold a licence.
All licensed vehicles should have an extra licence plate on the back of the vehicle and door plates showing the licence number, the registration number of the vehicle, the expiry date of the licence and the number of people the vehicle is licensed to carry.
There are two types of licensed vehicles. These are:
In the Lichfield District, these are white. These vehicles are fitted with a meter and you pay the price shown on the meter when your journey ends. Hackney carriages can be found on taxi ranks and can be hired without prior booking or hailed in the street. The licence plates for these vehicles are white.
Private hire vehicles
These must be pre-booked and cannot be picked up without prior booking. You should be informed of the price of your journey at the time of booking. These vehicles are not licensed or insured to pick up fares without pre-booking. The licence plates for these vehicles are yellow.
All licensed drivers will wear an identity badge and have one displayed inside the vehicle. These will show a photograph of the driver, the licence number and the expiry date of the licence. Always check a driver’s identify badge when you get into the vehicle.
Your rights as a passenger
When you have hired a taxi or pre-booked a private hire vehicle you have certain rights. These are:
- the driver must only charge the fare that is being shown on the meter unless the fare is agreed before the journey starts
- the driver must comply with any instructions you give, such as the route
- the driver must take you to your destination by the shortest route possible
- the driver must not allow other passengers to share the vehicle without your agreement
- when requested, the driver should assist in loading and unloading luggage and should also carry it to and from a house, station or place where you are picked up or set down
- drivers are required to offer you reasonable assistance to the car.
We work hard to ensure that our licensed vehicles in the district are safe but if you are unsure about the state of a vehicle or feel uneasy, do not get into the vehicle. When using a taxi make a note of the licence number and name of the driver and if you feel unsafe at any time, ask to be let out in a busy well lit area.
How to make a complaint
If you are unfortunate enough to have a cause for complaint about a licence holder, you may raise your concerns with the driver or private hire operator, or you can take a note of the driver’s name and badge number and contact our licensing enforcement team on 01543 308732.