The Audit Committee's role is to provide independent assurance to the council in relation to:
- the effectiveness of the council's risk management and internal control arrangements
- the effectiveness of the council's financial and non-financial performance
- the effectiveness of the governance arrangements within the council as a whole
- approval of the annual statement of accounts and annual governance statement
The Audit Committee also:
- Advises on the adoption or revision of the Code of Conduct for members and any associated codes and protocols and monitoring its operation.
- Advises members on the Code of Conduct
- Considers and determines any allegations of misconduct by a councillor if the Monitoring Officer requests assistance.
- Monitors the register of Members' interests.
The committee also receives the audit plans for both external audit and internal audit and progress reports throughout the year on the work of both. The committee's work programme generally includes consideration of reports from internal and external audit work, scrutiny of directorate and corporate risk registers, review of governance arrangements, other governance policies, and the annual governance statement.
If you require agendas, agenda items and/or minutes from meetings dating back more than one year please contact the Committee Team on 01543 308064/308065 who will be able to supply them.