Skip to content

Issues that may affect your property

There are a number of factors that may come into consideration as part of the planning application process. Find out more using the links below:

Back To Top

Flood risk

Some properties within the district are in flood risk areas. The Environment Agency provides further details on how it may impact your property and what you can do to mitigate the risk.

Back To Top

Contaminated land

A guide has been produced to make developers, landowners and their advisors, aware of the issues impacting on development on land that may be affected by contamination.

Back To Top

Tree preservation orders (TPO)

Our arboricultural team works to protect the district's stock of amenity trees and woodlands, by making tree preservation orders and dealing with applications for work to protected trees.

Many trees in the district are protected by tree preservation orders or are located within conservation areas where owners are responsible for notifying us before carrying out any work on them. Our arboricultural team is pleased to advise on whether consent is needed for work on your trees, whether it be any type of pruning work or felling.

Back To Top

Areas of outstanding natural beauty (AONB)

We have one area of outstanding natural beauty (AONB) - Cannock Chase - to the north west of the district - this covers areas of Gentleshaw Common. Developments in AONBs are subject to stricter controls.

Back To Top

Conservation areas

A conservation area is an area of special architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance.

Conservation areas are designated to protect their special architectural and historic interest from adverse development and encourage wherever possible their enhancement. Find out more about conservation areas

Article 4 directions relate to conservation areas and are a legal device available to all local authorities enabling them to exert tighter controls on changes to the outside of houses facing a road or open space that could damage the character and appearance of the conservation area. It does this by requiring owners to obtain planning permission for certain types of development that would otherwise be automatically permitted. Find out more on the Planning Portal website.

Back To Top

Restrictions on permitted development rights (Article 3 restrictions)

For some developments such as barn conversions or areas such as conservation areas and new housing developments some developments that do not normally need planning permission may still need permission. Find out more on the Planning Portal website.

Back To Top

Listed buildings

A listed building is one which has been formally declared to be of special architectural or historic interest by being placed on statutory lists compiled by the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990. Listing ensures that the architectural and historic interest of the building is carefully considered before any alterations, either outside or inside, are agreed. Find out more about listed buildings.

Services A - ZSee all services
Get in touch or visit...

Our location and travel details >>

Phone our contact centre: 01543 308 000
District Council House, Frog Lane, Lichfield, Staffs, WS13 6YY

If you need to contact a team direct, please visit our contacts page for team phone numbers and email addresses.

Opening times

Our main reception at Frog Lane in Lichfield is open Monday - Friday, 8.45am - 5.15pm. Our phone lines close at 5pm.