Services provided by us and other councils
Sometimes it can be confusing to know which council is responsible for your local services, as Lichfield District is also served by Staffordshire County Council and parish councils.
Why not download and print off our handy guide.
The main services provided by each council are listed below. The lists are not exhaustive, but should give you a good overview of what each council does.
Back To Top
Lichfield District Council
Back To Top
- Collects waste and recycling and keeps streets free of litter.
- Maintains parks and open spaces.
- Collects council tax and business rates.
- Administers housing benefit and council tax support.
- Maintains car parks and monitors CCTV.
- Provides and maintains public toilets.
- Runs leisure services and sports development - Burntwood & Friary Grange leisure centres are managed in partnership with Freedom Leisure Trust.
- Considers planning applications and provides building control.
- Creates plans for the future development of the district.
- Provides support and guidance to businesses.
- Compiles and maintains the electoral register and administers elections.
- Provides advice on environmental health.
- Inspects food and drink premises to make sure they are safe and hygienic.
- Provides support for people who are homeless.
- Provides a tourist information service and encourages tourism.
- Works in partnership to promote community safety.
- Conservation and wildlife management at protected sites.
Staffordshire County Council
- Manages schools, nurseries and children centres.
- Helps vulnerable adults to live independently in their own homes.
- Looks after children who need care.
- Maintains Staffordshire’s roads, street lights and illuminated signs, and oversees on-street car parking enforcement.
- Provides trading standards advice.
- Disposes of waste and operates waste and recycling sites.
- Provides libraries and mobile libraries.
- Responsible for public health.
Visit Staffordshire County Council's website.
Back To Top
Services vary from parish to parish
- Encourages the arts.
- Holds events.
- Provides allotments.
- Provides village halls.
- Provides and maintains some recreation grounds and play areas.
- Provides and maintains war memorials.
- Footpath signage and lighting.
- Puts together neighbourhood plans.