Complaints and feedback

We aim to support and improve the quality of life for everyone in the district by meeting customer needs and delivering first class public services - find out about our customer promise, which sets out the standards we aim to uphold. As users of our services, we value your opinion on the quality and way in which they are provided.

Find out about how you can give your views on our services using the links below, or download our Corporate comments complaints and suggestions leaflet:

Back To Top

Suggestions and compliments

If you have a suggestion about how we could do things differently to improve service delivery, please let us know. It is also important that we know if you are satisfied with the quality of service provided and therefore we welcome compliments.

Please feel free to share your views with our staff in person, in writing or by using our complaints, suggestions and compliments form.

Back To Top


If you feel we are doing something wrong or have given you a poor service we need to know about it so that we can deal with it as soon as possible. 

Tell us about it first
The quickest way to sort things out is to contact us to give us the chance to put things right - we've got lots of online forms in our report it section to help you do this - whether that's a noise complaint, a missed bin or a planning issue. 

Make a formal complaint
If you've already reported the issue to us and it's not been resolved satisfactorily or if you feel the matter needs further investigation, please follow the steps below.

Please remember that the more information you are able to give us, the easier it will be to investigate your complaint.

Stage one
The first thing to do is to contact the section responsible by telephone, letter, email, in person or complete the Complaints, Suggestions and Compliments form. If you prefer a member of staff will write down the complaint for you.

Stage two
At Stage 2 your complaint will be investigated by the appropriate Corporate Director.

Stage three
If you have been through Stages 1 & 2 and are still dissatisfied you can request that the complaint be passed to the Chief Executive to arrange for an independent senior officer to carry out an investigation.

At each stage of your complaint, you will be given a staff name and contact number and you will be contacted within 20 working days to inform you of the outcome or report progress.

Back To Top

What are not complaints?

Where possible all complaints will be dealt with using the process set out above, but there are some exceptions. These include:

  • A request for a service - find out how to request services in our apply for it and report it sections. This doesn't include a service failure, for example if an officer has failed to keep an appointment with a customer.
  • Applicants for planning permission who are not happy with the planning decision. Instead applicants would need to follow the planning appeal process.
  • Insurance claims or contractual disputes.
  • Complaints made about councillors. Find out about the correct procedure here.
  • Reopening a complaint that has already been to the Local Government Ombudsman and closed.
  • A complaint that is subject to, or has already been through, court or tribunal proceedings, or there is a separate appeals process to a court or tribunal service.
Back To Top

Our promise to you

The level of service you will receive during the investigation of your complaint at Stages one - three is set out below:

  • Your complaint will be acknowledged within three working days. 
  • Our target is to give you a full response within 20 working days or let you know why it is not possible to achieve this together with a new target date. 
  • You will not be treated adversely as a result of making a complaint. 
  • Confidentiality - The information you provide is protected under the Data Protection Act 1998. In order to process this information your details may need to be passed to a relevant third party (the identity of a person making a complaint will only be made known to those who consider the complaint and not revealed to any other person or made public by the Council), if you do not want this information passing on, please let us know. Anonymous complaints will be investigated as far as possible in accordance with the set procedure. 
  • Where we are at fault we will do our best to put things right.
  • The Complaints, Suggestions and Compliments procedure is operated in accordance with the Council's Equalities Policy 
Back To Top

Find out more

At any stage of the complaints procedure you can contact:

Your local councillor
Full details of Councillors' names and addresses are available by visiting our Councillor's Section.

Partnerships & policy team
Write to Partnerships & Policy, Lichfield District Council, District Council House, Frog Lane, Lichfield, Staffs WS13 6YY or call 01543 308000.

Back To Top

Not satisfied with the outcome?

If at the end of the our investigation you are not satisfied with the outcome you can contact:

The Local Government Ombudsman
The Ombudsman provides an impartial and confidential service free of charge. The Ombudsman investigates allegations of maladministration causing injustice to the person who has complained - but you will be asked if your complaint could be settled locally, so you must try the Councils procedure first.

The contact details for the Ombudsman are:0845 602 1983 or write to The Local Government Ombudsman, The Oaks, No.2, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry CV4 8JB or visit

Back To Top

Complaints about councillors

Changing how we deal with complaints
Our Standards Committee considers any complaints that a councillor may have breached the Code of Conduct.

What this means to you
If you want to complain about the conduct of a district councillor, or a councillor from one of our parish, town or city councils, you should send it to: The Standards Assessment Sub-Committee, c/o The Monitoring Officer
Lichfield District Council, District Council House, Frog Lane, Lichfield WS13 6YU

What type of complaint will the committee handle? 
The committee will only deal with complaints that relate to a breach of the Member's Code of Conduct. Read the Code of Conduct online.

If you feel you would like to make a complaint to the Standards Assessment Sub-Committee it must be about why you think a member has not followed the Code of Conduct.

Back To Top

Any questions?

If you have any questions, please contact our policy team on 01543 308000.

Services A - Z

See all services

Get in touch or visit...

Our location and travel details >>

Phone our contact centre: 01543 308 000
District Council House, Frog Lane, Lichfield, Staffs, WS13 6YY

If you need to contact a team direct, please visit our contacts page for team phone numbers and email addresses.

Opening times

Our main reception at Frog Lane in Lichfield is open Monday - Friday, 8.45am - 5.15pm.

© Copyright 2005 (updated 2018) Lichfield District Council | AccessibilityPrivacy notice | Website feedback | Website terms