Severe disability premium
From 16 January 2019 you will be able to make a new claim for housing benefit if, within the last calendar month, you received a severe disability premium in an award of:
- Income-related employment support allowance
- Income support
- Income-based job seekers allowance
- Housing benefit
You can see if you get a severe disability premium in your award by checking your Department for Work & Pensions entitlement letters.
If a severe disability premium was only awarded in housing benefit, we will need to see your decision notice in the area that you last claimed housing benefit.
- People who qualify for a severe disability premium get one of the following benefits:
- Middle or high rate care component of disability living allowanceStandard or enhanced daily living rate of personal independence payment
- Attendance allowance
- Armed forces independence payment
Thre must also be no one else in your household that could look after you, or anyone that is receiving carer’s allowance for you.
If you do have a severe disability premium, we will ask you to provide evidence of it.