Report a change in circumstances

It's really easy to report a change in your circumstances, so if something in your life has changed make sure you tell us straight away. 

If you don't tell us as soon as the change occurs you could lose your benefits or miss out on more benefits if you are entitled to them.

What is a change in circumstance?

Changes in circumstances can includes: 

  • You start work.
  • Your income support or jobseekers allowance stops. 
You are awarded working tax credit or the amount changes.
  • There are any changes in your income, even for a short time.
  • Your partner or spouse starts work.
  • Someone joins or leaves your household.
  • You are awarded child tax credit, or the amount changes.
  • Your child benefit stops or starts.
  • A non-dependant's income changes (either by amount or source of income, even for a short time).
  • You start to receive disability living allowance or attendance allowance.
  • Changes to your rent.
  • If you move house.

This is not an exhaustive list, so if you aren't sure if other changes to your circumstances will make a difference to your benefits, just let us know about them and we'll be able to advise you. 

How to report a change 

Call our customer services team on 01543 308900.

Write to us at 'Change in circumstances, The benefits team, Frog Lane, Lichfield, Staffs, WS13 6YX'

Please tell us your name, address and telephone number, details of the change and the change took place.

Or you can visit us at our council offices in Lichfield or Burntwood.

We may ask you for further information or evidence in order for us to make sure your benefit is correct.

How to let us know you have moved 

You will need to fill in a change of address form.

If you would prefer us to send you one, call our customer services team on 01543 308900 or visit our council offices in Lichfield or Burntwood. 

What happens after you report a change? 

Your benefit will be assessed and you will receive new award letters. Please check the letters carefully to make sure your new benefits award is correct.

If you have been overpaid housing benefit we will recover any overpayment from you. 

Any changes to your council tax benefit will be added to/deducted from your council tax account and a revised notice will be sent to you.

If you don't think your new award is correct, you can question or appeal our decision

What happens if you don't report a change in your circumstances?

If you don't tell us about your changes immediately you may lose your benefits, or be asked to repay benefit you have received incorrectly.

Not reporting a change of circumstances immediately is also a criminal offence and the council may take action against you.

To find out more visit our benefit fraud section.

Services A - Z

See all services

Get in touch or visit...

Our location and travel details >>

Phone our contact centre: 01543 308 000
District Council House, Frog Lane, Lichfield, Staffs, WS13 6YY

If you need to contact a team direct, please visit our contacts page for team phone numbers and email addresses.

Opening times

Our main reception at Frog Lane in Lichfield is open Monday - Friday, 8.45am - 5.15pm.

© Copyright 2005 (updated 2018) Lichfield District Council | AccessibilityPrivacy notice | Website feedback | Website terms