Council tax leaflet

Every year we produce a council tax leaflet, which has information about how much you will pay, how we spend the money we get, and council tax discounts and exemptions.

This year's council tax leaflet (2017/18)

We spend 10.3% of the money you pay each month in your council tax bill. This means, an average house (band D) in the district will pay £165 this year towards district council services. Find out how we use this money to deliver local services in our council tax leaflet.

To make sure we can continue to deliver good local services we have increased our part of the bill by 3.1% this year (2017/18).

This increase means an average (band D) local home will pay around £5 extra a year, for the services we provide - from recycling and parks to leisure centres and more.

We pass the rest of the money you pay in council tax to:

A small amount of money (called the Local Levy) is also paid to the Environment Agency to help them build flood defences, maintain rivers and more. 

* Increases to council tax for Staffordshire County Council:
Staffordshire County Council has set an adult social care precept increase of 3% and a general precept increase of 1.95%, resulting in an overall 4.95% increase.

Staffordshire County Council council tax increase example based on Band D

  2016/17 2017/18 £ increase 2017/18 % increase  2017/18How is the increase calculated?
General precept





This is calculated from the total Band D in 2016/2017 (£1,088.65) multiplied by an increase of 1.95%.

 Adult social care precept





This is calculated from the total Band D in 2016/2017 (£1088.65) multiplied by an increase of 3%.

 Total Band D






To receive the council tax leaflet in a different format, such as large print, please contact our customer services team on 01543 308900, Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm.

Council tax leaflets

Services A - Z

See all services

Get in touch or visit...

Our location and travel details >>

Phone our contact centre: 01543 308 000
District Council House, Frog Lane, Lichfield, Staffs, WS13 6YY

If you need to contact a team direct, please visit our contacts page for team phone numbers and email addresses.

Opening times

Our main reception at Frog Lane in Lichfield is open Monday - Friday, 8.45am - 5.15pm.

© Copyright 2005 (updated 2018) Lichfield District Council | AccessibilityPrivacy notice | Website feedback | Website terms