Skip to content

Local council tax support

Local council tax support helps people on a low income pay for their council tax bill - used to be known as council tax benefit. You do not have to be unemployed or unable to work to claim council tax support. You can apply if you are working and earning a low wage.

You can also apply for council tax support if you own your own home.

You will not qualify for council tax support if:

  • You are of working age and you having savings over £6,000, unless you receive income-related Employment Support Allowance, income-based Job Seekers Allowance or Income Support.
  • You are of pensionable age and you have savings over £16,000, unless you receive Pension Credit Guarantee.
  • You are living with/paying board to a close relative (although second adult rebate may be claimed by the homeowner if they are of pensionable age).
  • You are from outside the UK and do not have recourse to public funds.

Read our council tax reduction scheme.

Find out more about how to apply for council tax support.

Services A - ZSee all services
Get in touch or visit...

Our location and travel details >>

Phone our contact centre: 01543 308 000
District Council House, Frog Lane, Lichfield, Staffs, WS13 6YY

If you need to contact a team direct, please visit our contacts page for team phone numbers and email addresses.

Opening times

Our main reception at Frog Lane in Lichfield is open Monday - Friday, 8.45am - 5.15pm. Our phone lines close at 5pm.