Skip to content

Switching energy tariff FAQs

How often can I switch?

If you are not on a fixed tariff you are free to switch as much as you like.

Can everyone save by switching?

Some people may already be on the best and/or most suitable tariff for them, and so they may not benefit from switching.

Can I get gas and electricity from one supplier?

Yes, and in some cases you will earn a Dual Fuel discount for doing so.

Will my supply be disrupted?

No. There will be no disruption to your energy supply and no physical work will be involved.

How long does it take to switch?

From the date you apply, a switch takes between four and six weeks. The government is working to halve this.

What is Economy 7?

Economy 7 is a tariff that includes a day and a night rate. For a seven-hour period overnight you pay a lower rate for your electricity. Economy 7 is most suitable for use with overnight storage heaters. Switching to an Economy 7 tariff will require you to change meter, which you may be required to pay for.

Can I change my mind?

Yes. There should be a cooling off period of between 7 to 14 days (varies depending on suppliers). During this period you can change your mind without incurring a penalty. You can ask what the cooling off period is when discussing matters with your potential new supplier. If using a comparison site, details on cooling off periods should be listed on their website.

Do I need to tell my supplier I’m leaving?

No, your new supplier will contact your old supplier and inform them that you have switched.

Can I switch if I receive a Feed-in-Tariff (FIT)?

Yes. The six major energy suppliers are obliged to pay a Feed-in-Tariff if you generate electricity in your home (e.g. via solar panels). You do not need the same supplier as your electricity and/or gas to receive this Feed-in-Tariff and will continue to receive this following a switch in supplier. Whoever currently pays your FIT will continue to do so.

I rent my property, can I switch?

The only person that can switch is the one listed on the energy bills for the property. If you pay your landlord for electricity and or gas, you would have to ask them to switch (as they will be named on the bills). However, if the supply is in your name and you pay suppliers directly, you can switch. You should remember to check your rental agreement before switching.

What could prevent me from switching?

You may rent your home and not be responsible for paying the bills directly or your rent or lease agreement may prohibit changes with utility supply. If you have outstanding debt to your current supplier, your switch may well be delayed. Customers with a Green Deal Plan will be unable to switch to smaller suppliers at the present time, as some smaller suppliers may be unable to retrieve Green Deal repayments.

When will my new supplier contact me?

Usually within 7 to 14 days after you switch. If you don’t hear from them in this period you can contact them directly.

What if I switch and then my supplier changes prices?

Ofgem states that suppliers must notify customers of forthcoming price changes at least four weeks before the changes occur. However, if you switch to a variable tariff and the prices are then changed, the new prices will be reflected on your bill. This will not happen if you choose to switch to a fixed tariff in which you receive a price ‘locked in’ for the duration of your deal.


Services A - ZSee all services
Get in touch or visit...

Our location and travel details >>

Phone our contact centre: 01543 308 000
District Council House, Frog Lane, Lichfield, Staffs, WS13 6YY

If you need to contact a team direct, please visit our contacts page for team phone numbers and email addresses.

Opening times

Our main reception at Frog Lane in Lichfield is open Monday - Friday, 8.45am - 5.15pm. Our phone lines close at 5pm.