Skip to content

Guidance for homeless people

If you  are homeless or  facing homelessness you should contact us on 01543 308709 or 01543 308703  to get advice from and book an appointment with a Housing Options Officer if necessary.

Back To Top

Speak to our Housing Options Officers

Our Housing Options Team will firstly look at your circumstances to see if there is anyway homelessness can be prevented or delayed. This would involve checking the legality of any possession proceedings that have been started, negotiation and mediation with a landlord or family member or giving money advice to enable you to remain at home.

If this is not possible we can look at other options such as a Homeless Prevention Loan to enable you to access private rented accommodation if you do not have the money for a deposit and/or rent in advance. Other options include a Homeless Application which is a legally framed process that can enable housing to be allocated on a priority basis as long as you meet certain criteria that are laid out in the homelessness legislation. If this option is taken we would need to prove that:

  1. You are eligible for assistance
  2. You are homeless
  3. You are in "Priority Need"
  4. You are not "intentionally" homeless
  5. You have a "local Connection" to the Lichfield District

Find out more.

Whatever option is taken, we will need certain information from you in order to proceed.

You can make the process easier and quicker by bringing relevant information from the list below to your interview with the  Housing Options Officer.

For homelessness and housing advice email or call 01543 308703/308709.

Back To Top

Proof of homelessness

We need  some evidence that you are facing homelessness. This could be:
  • a Notice to Quit or Eviction Notice
  • a letter from people you are living with stating the date on which you must leave
  • a letter from your employer stating that you must leave, if your accommodation is linked to your job
  • details of your income and outgoings, if you are being evicted for non-payment of rent or mortgage
Back To Top

Your household details

We need to know if you are pregnant and/or have dependent children living with you. Proof could be:

  • a pregnancy certificate from a GP
  • child benefit books
  • care & control document from a court
  • birth certificates
Back To Top

Proof of personal circumstances

The help we can give you may depend on whether you are classed as "vulnerable". Documents which could demonstrate vulnerability are:

  • a letter from a health care professional
  • proof of age if you are over 60 or under 18
  • details of a medical condition or disability
Back To Top

Proof of a local connection

We will assist and advise you whether or not you have a local connection to the area, but may only help you with accommodation if you can demonstrate a link to the Lichfield District. Proof could be:

  • evidence that you or a close relative lives in the district (e.g. a utility bill or driving licence)
  • a letter from your employer, if you work in the district 
Back To Top

Contact us

For homelessness and housing advice email: or call 01543 308703/30870.

Services A - ZSee all services
Get in touch or visit...

Our location and travel details >>

Phone our contact centre: 01543 308 000
District Council House, Frog Lane, Lichfield, Staffs, WS13 6YY

If you need to contact a team direct, please visit our contacts page for team phone numbers and email addresses.

Opening times

Our main reception at Frog Lane in Lichfield is open Monday - Friday, 8.45am - 5.15pm. Our phone lines close at 5pm.