Skip to content

Mutual exchange

If you are a council or housing association tenant you can swap homes with another tenant. This is called a mutual exchange.

Finding a mutual exchange means you will not have to wait for months, even years, on a housing transfer list or choice based letting scheme. There are several schemes available. Some will be free to use but a fee may be payable with others. For information on some of the individual schemes available please see the links below. The more schemes you are registered with, the more likely you are to find a suitable swap.

A mutual exchange doesn’t just mean you have to swap like for like. You could:

  • downsize
  • upsize
  • swap across the country
  • swap a house for a flat and vice versa
  • get somewhere with a garden
  • find a property without stairs
  • find a property with adapted facilities.

Once you have agreed an exchange with another tenant, you must always obtain written permission from both of your landlords.

For further information regarding mutual exchanges please see the Shelter website at 

Scheme links


More on Social Housing (Housing Associations)

Services A - ZSee all services
Get in touch or visit...

Our location and travel details >>

Phone our contact centre: 01543 308 000
District Council House, Frog Lane, Lichfield, Staffs, WS13 6YY

If you need to contact a team direct, please visit our contacts page for team phone numbers and email addresses.

Opening times

Our main reception at Frog Lane in Lichfield is open Monday - Friday, 8.45am - 5.15pm. Our phone lines close at 5pm.