Skip to content

Assistance with paying rent for a social rental

If you’re on a low income, whether you’re working or not, and need financial help to pay all or part of your rent, you may be able to get Housing Benefit.

If you live in council accommodation or other social housing, the most Housing Benefit you can get is the same as your ‘eligible’ rent.

Eligible rent includes:

  • rent for the accommodation
  • charges for some services, such as lifts, communal laundry facilities or play areas.

Even if it’s included in your rent, you won’t get any Housing Benefit for:

  • water charges
  • charges for heating, hot water, lighting, or cooking
  • payments for food or fuel in board and lodgings or hostels.

The amount of Housing Benefit you may get also depends on the members of the household as well as the claimants and partners personal and financial circumstances.

Your local council will look at:

  • money you and your partner have coming in, including earnings, some benefits and tax credits, and occupational pensions
  • your savings (and your partner’s savings)
  • your circumstances such as your age, the size of your family and their ages, whether you or any of your family are disabled, and whether anyone who lives with you could help with the rent
  • the particulars of your home and the rent you pay.

Your council will also look at whether:

  • the amount of rent is reasonable for your particular home
  • your home is a reasonable size for you and your family

Your ‘eligible’ rent may be limited to an amount that’s reasonable for a suitably sized property in the area you live.

Contact information

Due to ongoing welfare reforms please ensure you read the Lichfield District Council welfare reforms leaflet.

Lichfield District Council benefit calculator.

Contact Lichfield District Council by telephone on 01543 308900 or visit in person Lichfield District Council, District Council House, Frog Lane, Lichfield, Staffordshire WS13 6YY. Monday to Friday 8.45am to 5.15pm.


Who isn't eligible?

You can't usually get Housing Benefit if you have savings of over £16,000 (unless you are getting the guarantee credit of Pension Credit), you live in the home of a close relative, you're a full-time student (unless you're disabled or have children) and if you're an asylum seeker or are sponsored to be in the UK.

How is it paid?

Your council will pay any Housing Benefit straight into your rent account.

Will claiming Housing Benefit effect any other benefits I claim?

Housing Benefit won't affect any other benefits you get.

Services A - ZSee all services
Get in touch or visit...

Our location and travel details >>

Phone our contact centre: 01543 308 000
District Council House, Frog Lane, Lichfield, Staffs, WS13 6YY

If you need to contact a team direct, please visit our contacts page for team phone numbers and email addresses.

Opening times

Our main reception at Frog Lane in Lichfield is open Monday - Friday, 8.45am - 5.15pm. Our phone lines close at 5pm.