Skip to content

House in multiple occupancy (HMO) licence

If you rent out a property for house in multiple occupancy (HMO), you may require a licence from your local authority. Find out more by downloading a summary of the regulation relating to this licence or using the links below:

Back To Top

Who needs a licence?

The Housing Act 2004 makes licensing compulsory for houses in multiple occupation that are:

  • three or more storeys high;
  • occupied by five or more people who live as more than one household, and
  • share amenities such as bathrooms, toilets and cooking facilities
Back To Top

Who is eligible?

When applying you will need to provide fire safety risk assessment, a fit and proper person assessment, completed and endorsed by a solicitor, and a property plan.

Licences will be granted if:

  • the house is or can be made suitable for multiple occupation
  • the applicant is a fit and proper person and the most appropriate person to hold the licence
  • the proposed manager has control of the house, and is a fit and proper person to be the manager
  • the management arrangements are satisfactory
Back To Top

How to apply and costs

It will cost £565 for up to five bedrooms/units and thereafter an extra £55 per bedroom/unit up to a maximum of £4,500 for a five year HMO licence. Failure to apply for a licence could result in a fixed penalty of up to £30,000.

For more information please contact Private Sector Housing on 01543 308714 or email

Back To Top

Will tacit consent apply?

It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us to chase up your application.

Back To Top

Can I appeal a decision?

Please contact us in the first instance. You may appeal to a residential property tribunal regarding conditions attached to a licence or any decision to vary or revoke a licence. Any appeal must be made within 28 days of the decision being made. Please call 01543 308714 or email

Back To Top

Consumer complaint

If a licence is granted and you wish to appeal against it being granted you may do so to a residential property tribunal within 28 days of the decision being made. Please call 01543 308714 or email

Back To Top

Trade associations

More on Housing-standards

Services A - ZSee all services
Get in touch or visit...

Our location and travel details >>

Phone our contact centre: 01543 308 000
District Council House, Frog Lane, Lichfield, Staffs, WS13 6YY

If you need to contact a team direct, please visit our contacts page for team phone numbers and email addresses.

Opening times

Our main reception at Frog Lane in Lichfield is open Monday - Friday, 8.45am - 5.15pm.