Skip to content

Homes in conservation areas

Conservation areas are designed to protect the special architectural and historic interest from adverse development and encourage enhancement of the area wherever possible. If you live in a conservation area, you need to find out more about what this means for you, before you consider undertaking any external work to your home.

Find out more using the links below:

Back To Top

Do I live in a conservation area?

There are 21 designated conservation areas in the Lichfield District, ranging from Alrewas through to Wigginton. Find out more.

Back To Top

Can I do work to my house?

Legally local councils can work to protect conservation areas, by imposing tighter controls on changes to the outside of buildings facing a road or open space that could damage the character and appearance of the conservation area (under Article 4 Direction).

We do this by asking owners to get planning permission for certain types of development that would otherwise be automatically permitted.

Currently these tighter controls are in place in Wigginton and Whittington, Lichfield City Centre, Mousley Terrace, Frog Lane and the St Chad's Extension to Lichfield City.

We also have a rolling programme of adopting Article 4 Directions in our remaining conservation areas across the district over the coming years. Find out what Article 4 Directs mean below.

Back To Top

Does Article 4 Directions affect me?

If you live in the conservation areas in Wigginton and Whittington, Lichfield City Centre, Mousley Terrace, Frog Lane and the St Chad's Extension to Lichfield City, in addition to normal requirements for planning permission, you will need permission before doing any of the following works:

  • The installation or alteration of windows and doors.
  • The erection of an extension of any size to the side or front of a house.
  • Alteration to the roof, including changing materials, the insertion of dormer windows or roof lights.
  • The addition of a porch to an entrance facing a road or open space.
  • The provision of a hard surface within the grounds of a house for the parking of vehicles.
  • The alteration, removal or erection of any gate, fence, wall or other means of enclosure within the grounds of a house.
  • The painting of the exterior of any part of a house or of a building within the grounds of a house not previously painted.
  • The installation or replacement of a satellite antennae.
  • Rendering walls not previously rendered.
  • The alteration or removal of a chimney to the house or any other building within the grounds of the house.
Back To Top

Contact us

If you live in a conservation area that is affected by Article 4 Directions, please contact our team on 01543 308188/203 or email for advice and guidance.

Services A - ZSee all services
Get in touch or visit...

Our location and travel details >>

Phone our contact centre: 01543 308 000
District Council House, Frog Lane, Lichfield, Staffs, WS13 6YY

If you need to contact a team direct, please visit our contacts page for team phone numbers and email addresses.

Opening times

Our main reception at Frog Lane in Lichfield is open Monday - Friday, 8.45am - 5.15pm. Our phone lines close at 5pm.