Skip to content

Homes in listed buildings

Listed buildings help to ensure that the architectural and historic interest of a building is carefully considered before any alterations, either outside or inside, are agreed. If you live in a listed building, you will need to contact us before you carry out any work.

Find out more using the links below:

Back To Top

Do I live in a listed building?

Find out if you live in a listed building by viewing the national register.

Back To Top

Owning a listed building

Being responsible for a listed historic building is a privilege. It represents a commitment to the nation's heritage and your own contribution to preserving it for future generations to enjoy. Each historic building is unique and once part of its fabric is destroyed or damaged it can never be genuinely replaced. The intrinsic value to society of our historic buildings and areas is recognised by the government, local authorities and heritage organisations. A legal framework exists to help guide essential change to listed buildings, whilst protecting and enhancing the special character of the buildings we value. Find out more below.

Back To Top

When do I need listed building consent?

If you want to carry out work to a listed building, you will need to get listed building consent from us - this includes any work that will alter or affect the character, inside or outside, of a listed building.

Repairs which match the existing historic fabric exactly may not need consent, but we still recommend you contact us first, so we can advise you.

Examples of work which may need consent include changing windows and doors, painting over brickwork or removing external surfaces, putting in dormer windows or roof lights, putting up aerials, satellite dishes and burglar alarms, changing roofing materials, moving or removing internal walls, making new doorways, and removing or altering fireplaces, panelling or staircases.

More information can be found on Historic England's website.

Back To Top

When is planning permission needed?

Sometimes planning permission is needed for building work in addition to listed building consent, for instance for building an extension or converting a building into a new use. Our development management team can advise you about this.

Back To Top

How do I apply for listed building consent?

We recommend you contact us before you make an application. We can advise you informally whether your proposals are likely to be accepted. This could save you time and money.

It is also nearly always best to employ an architect who is used to working with listed buildings at an early stage for work on extensions and alterations involving historic fabric. He or she will have the necessary skills to be aware of where likely difficulties and sensitive areas will be and can draw up sketch proposals, if necessary, for discussion with officers before hard and fast decisions are taken.

We deal with the majority of listed building consent cases and will give you the appropriate form for making your application (there is no fee for such applications). Your application will need to include enough information to show clearly what you intend to do, with detailed scaled drawings and photographs. You can also download listed building consent application forms from the Planning Portal website.

Back To Top

Contact us

If you own a listed building and want to carry out any work or have any queries, please contact our team on 01543 308188/203 or email

Services A - ZSee all services
Get in touch or visit...

Our location and travel details >>

Phone our contact centre: 01543 308 000
District Council House, Frog Lane, Lichfield, Staffs, WS13 6YY

If you need to contact a team direct, please visit our contacts page for team phone numbers and email addresses.

Opening times

Our main reception at Frog Lane in Lichfield is open Monday - Friday, 8.45am - 5.15pm. Our phone lines close at 5pm.