Carrying out work without planning permission

Carrying out building works or a change of use

If building works have taken place without permission, a planning enforcement officer will investigate and you will be advised either verbally or in writing that the issue is under investigation.

In some cases, other services such as environmental health or The Environment Agency will also be advised.

Planning contravention notices

During the course of the investigation, we may need more information to decide whether there has been a breach of planning control and to be able to properly advise you. In such cases, a planning contravention notice may be served.

This notice asks questions about the breach of planning control and about the ownership of the land.

If a planning contravention notice is served, it is a criminal offence not to complete the questionnaire within the given timescale.