Walls, fences and gates

You will need to apply for planning permission if you wish to erect a fence, wall or gate, and:

  • Your house is a listed building or in the curtilage of a listed building.
  • The fence, wall or gate would be over one metre high and close to a highway used for vehicles, or over two metres high elsewhere.
  • If you wish to alter or replace a fence or wall and the new fence or wall exceeds the original height, or is one or two metres in height as described above.
  • If you are altering the appearance, for example, replacing a brick wall with a fence.

You do not need planning permission for hedges or trees. However, if your property is subject to a landscaping scheme, there may be conditions attached to the planning permission which restrict the removal of any trees, shrubs or hedges. If you are unsure about this, you can contact the development management team for advice.

You will not need to make a planning application to take down a fence, wall, gate or other means of enclosures. However, if you live in a conservation area or in a listed building, you may need further approvals.

If you live in a house, you can make certain types of minor changes without needing to apply for planning permission. These are known as permitted development rights. You should note that we may have removed some of your permitted development rights for the erection or alteration of any walls or fences. Find out more.

If this has happened, you may require planning permission. If you are unsure about this, you should contact the development management team for advice.