Preparing for Brexit

The UK has left the EU and there is now a transition period until the end of 2020 while the UK and EU negotiate additional arrangements.

The current rules on trade and travel for the UK and EU will continue during the transition period. New rules will take effect on 1 January 2021.

We have developed this web page to help signpost you to the most up to date guidance on a range of topics.

There is a new government website which has been developed so that citizens and businesses can identify what they need to do to get ready for Brexit quickly. This includes videos and step by step guides, making it easy and simple for audiences to follow and take action if needed.

I am a UK citizen and plan to visit Europe

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, there will be changes if you visit the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland - rules for passports, driving, EHIC cards, pet travel and more would be likely to change.

If however, the UK agrees a deal to leave the EU, there would be no immediate change to travel and the current rules would stay the same until at least 2020.

Visit the government website to find out more about passports, border controls, health care, pet travel, mobile phone information, insurance and more. To get the latest information send to you, sign up to get email alerts from the government.

You can also get up to date travel advice from the government website for the country you’re visiting, including local information about travel, laws and customs, and money.

I am an EU citizen living in the district

The UK government has reached an agreement with the EU that will protect the rights of EU citizens and their family members living in the UK. It has also reached an agreement with Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, and a separate agreement with Switzerland.

These agreements mean that most citizens from the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland will need to apply to stay in the UK. They can then continue living their lives here as they do now.

The government has launched an online toolkit to help EU nationals find out what to do and when. Visit the government online toolkit.

I am an UK citizen and am studying/plan to study abroad

Visit the government website for advice for students who are studying/plan to study higher education in any European Union (EU) country after the UK leaves the EU.

Buying things from Europe after Brexit

There may be changes to things like your consumer rights and how much tax you need to pay if you buy products or services from the EU, Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland if there is a ‘no-deal Brexit’. Details are not confirmed while the UK government and the EU are negotiating. Visit the government website to find out more.

Family law disputes involving the EU after Brexit

Visit the government website to find out what to do if you are involved in a family law dispute (including divorce and child maintenance) with someone living in the EU after Brexit.

I am a UK citizen living in an EU country

Visit the government website's toolkit for detailed advice on what to do and when.

I run a business in Lichfield District

Visit our Brexit advice for business web page for more information.

Advice for community group leaders

The government's community leaders toolkit provides tools and information to support EU citizens and their families to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.