The short-term improvements to the Birmingham Road site got underway in January 2020. They will improve the look and feel of the area, as well as prepare it for later development, and provide a better route into the city from the train and bus stations.
We have appointed The Coleman Group to carry out the works, which are being completed in the following phases:
- Compound & site set up currently underway: Site compound set-up and fencing will go up around the former police station and the site compound will be set up. A tree next to the building will be pruned to protect it.
- Demolishing the former police station: The former police station interior fittings will be taken out, including asbestos removal, before the building is demolished. This is expected to take around nine weeks.
- Bus station improvements: Street furniture will be removed from the bus station and the bus station car park. Temporary bus stops will be in use while the area is re-tarmacked and the bus station is refreshed. The bus station will remain open, although parts of it will close in phases.
- Closure of bus station car park: The 50-space bus station car park is expected to close in February. Once resurfaced, this area will be used for new coach parking. There will be a number of weeks between the closure of this car park and the opening of the replacement car park. For nearby car parks visit www.lichfielddc.gov.uk/carparkmap.
- New temporary car park: Following the demolition of the police station, the replacement 56-space long-stay car park, footpaths and street furniture will be installed.
- Bus station buildings and toilets: New Healthmatic temporary toilets will be opened, ahead of the demolition of the bus station shop, kiosk and toilets.
- Landscaping: The former sites of the police station and bus station buildings will be landscaped.
We expect the works to be completed in the spring and ask that residents, workers and visitors bear with us while the works are taking place.
The improvements are a step towards improving the Birmingham Road site, while the long-term masterplan is completed, which will shape the future growth of Lichfield city centre.
Our planned timeframe
- July 2019 – planning application approved Lichfield District Council’s Planning Committee, subject to conditions. View the planning application.
- September 2019 – contractors appointed to carry out temporary works. Find out more.
- January 2020 – improvement work starts on site.
- Spring 2020 – improvement works complete.