The short-term improvements to the Birmingham Road site got underway in January 2020. They will improve the look and feel of the area, as well as prepare it for later development, and provide a better route into the city from the train and bus stations.
We have appointed The Coleman Group to carry out the works. This is where they have got up to:
- Compound & site set up: Fencing has gone up and the site compound has been set up. A tree next to the former police station has also been pruned to protect it.
- Bus station toilets: The bus station toilets have been closed and replaced with two temporary unisex toilets and a disabled toilet. These temporary toilets will be replaced by longer-term facilities in the spring.
- Demolishing the old police station: The former police station interior fittings have been taken out, including asbestos and the building has been demolished.
- Bus station improvements: The bus station is being re-surfaced and the bus stops refreshed and new street furniture such as benches and bins installed. The bus station is remaining open throughout the works, although parts of it are being closed in phases. There are a number of temporary bus stops where the former bus station car park was located.
- Bus station buildings and footpath: The bus station buildings and toilets have been closed and fenced off so they can be prepared for demolition. The footpath, which leads from Frog Lane to the bus station, is closed and a temporary diversion is in place.
- Closure of bus station car park: The 50-space bus station car park is now closed. This area is being used for temporary bus stops. Once it has been resurfaced, it will be used for new coach parking. Bus station car park season tickets can be used at any council run long-stay car park in the city until the new car park is open. For nearby car parks see our city centre car park map.
- New temporary car park: Following the demolition of the police station, the replacement 56-space long-stay car park, footpaths and street furniture will be installed on the grounds of the police station.
- Landscaping: The former sites of the police station and bus station buildings will be landscaped.
The works are a step towards improving the Birmingham Road site, while our long-term masterplan is completed, which will shape the future growth of Lichfield city centre.
We had hoped the project would be completed in the spring, but the coronavirus outbreak has meant the work has been put on hold, which will likely have an impact on the completion date. Find out more.
- July 2019 – planning application approved Lichfield District Council’s Planning Committee, subject to conditions. View the planning application.
- September 2019 – contractors appointed to carry out temporary works. Find out more.
- January 2020 – improvement work started on site.
- 2020 – improvement works complete.