The short-term improvements to the Birmingham Road site got underway in January 2020. They will improve the look and feel of the area, as well as prepare it for later development, and provide a better route into the city from the train and bus stations.
We have appointed The Coleman Group to carry out the works, which are being completed in the following phases:
- Compound & site set up: Fencing has gone up around the former police station and the site compound hs been set up. A tree next to the building was also pruned to protect it.
- Demolishing the former police station: The former police station interior fittings are being taken out, including asbestos removal, before the building is demolished towards the end of February/early March.
- Bus station toilets: The bus station toilets are now closed and have been replaced with two temporary unisex toilets, one of which will have disabled access. These temporary toilets will be replaced by longer-term facilities in the spring.
- Bus station improvements: The bus station will be re-tarmacked and the bus stops refreshed from Monday 17 February. Street furniture, such as bins and benches will also be removed. The bus station will remain open, although parts of it will close in phases which will affect bus stops. There will be temporary bus stops where the current bus station car park is located.
- Bus station buildings and footpath: When the bus station shop and toilet block is being prepared for demolition, it will need a safe working zone around it. This means the footpath, which leads from Frog Lane (next to the multi-storey car park) to the bus station, will also need to be closed temporarily starting from 17 February. There will be a diversion in place.
- Closure of bus station car park: The 50-space bus station car park closed to vehicles on Monday 17 February. This area will be used for temporary bus stops throughout part of the works. Once it has been resurfaced, it will be used for new coach parking. There will be a number of weeks between the closure of this car park and the opening of the replacement car park. Bus station car parking season tickets can be used at any council run long-stay car park in the city until the new car park is open. For nearby car parks see our car park map.
- New temporary car park: Following the demolition of the police station, the replacement 56-space long-stay car park, footpaths and street furniture will be installed.
- Landscaping: The former sites of the police station and bus station buildings will be landscaped.
We expect the works to be completed in the spring and ask that residents, workers and visitors bear with us while the works are taking place.
The improvements are a step towards improving the Birmingham Road site, while the long-term masterplan is completed, which will shape the future growth of Lichfield city centre.
- July 2019 – planning application approved Lichfield District Council’s Planning Committee, subject to conditions. View the planning application.
- September 2019 – contractors appointed to carry out temporary works. Find out more.
- January 2020 – improvement work started on site.
- Spring 2020 – improvement works complete.