In 2020 a series of improvements were made to the Birmingham Road Gateway site.
The works, which were carried out by The Coleman Group, included:
- Bus station toilets: The old bus station toilets were demolished and replaced with two unisex facilities, one of which has disabled access and a baby changer.
- Police station and bus station buildings demolished: The former police station and bus station buildings were demolished and the rubble/waste recycled.
- Bus station improvements: The bus station was re-surfaced and the bus shelters refreshed and new street furniture, including benches and bins, was installed.
- New coach parking: The 50-space bus station car park was closed and resurfaced and is now being used for extra coach parking.
- New bus station car park: The replacement 56-space long-stay car park, footpaths and street furniture has been installed on the grounds of the former police station and is now open. Vehicular access is from Frog Lane and pedestrian access is from the bus station and Frog Lane.
- Landscaping: The former sites of the police station and bus station buildings have been seeded with grass and a number of trees have been planted.
This project is a step towards improving the Birmingham Road gateway site, while our the long-terms plans for this area are progressed.