Advice for businesses - Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Guidance for businesses reopening
To help companies and retailers to get back to work, we are promoting the government’s five steps to safer working:
- Carrying out a Covid-19 risk assessment and sharing the results with all employees.
- Developing cleaning, handwashing and hygiene procedures.
- Helping people to work from home.
- Maintain 2m social distancing, where possible.
- Where people cannot be 2m apart, doing everything practical to manage transmission risk.
The government have proposed a timeline for businesses to reopen including the phased reopening of shops and hospitality.
If you are planning and preparing to reopen your business in readiness for when the restriction on business closure changes, we have put together some useful guidance you can look at as necessary and adhere to.
As changes occur, it is important to keep up to date with the government advice and to ensure that this is being followed within your premises. Social distancing must be maintained. It is vital that regular and effective hand washing and adequate cleaning is carried out, especially in hand contact areas.
The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) have put together helpful signage on their website which you can display at your premises to guide your customers, please see below:
- limiting the number of customers entering the shop
- maintain 2m distance when queuing outside and in the shop
- keep a distance of 2m at all times
If your business has been closed for some time, you need to take reasonable steps to prevent legionnaires’ disease. Find out more using the following guidance:
- Risks during coronavirus outbreak
- More guidance on legionella and legionnaires’ disease
- Leisure, sports, swimming & spa pool facilities
As an employer, you must protect your employees, and others, from harm. A risk assessment must be undertaken to control risks in the workplace.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) have produced guidance to help you work safely and manage the risk associated with operating your business during this time.
For guidance specific to food businesses, please see our page dedicated to food business guidance.
Get more advice
If you would like to contact the Health & Safety Executive (HSE), you can call them on on 0300 790 6787.