As well as improving the look and feel of the area, the short-term works will prepare the site for later development and provide a better route into the city from the train and bus stations.
The works, which were carried out by The Coleman Group, included:
- Bus station toilets: The old bus station toilets were demolished and replaced with two unisex facilities, one of which has disabled access and a baby changer. These toilets opened on 11 August.
- Police station demolished: The former police station was demolished and the rubble/waste recycled.
- Bus station improvements: The bus station was re-surfaced and the bus shelters refreshed and new street furniture, including benches and bins, was installed.
- Bus station buildings: The bus station buildings were demolished.
- New coach parking: The 50-space bus station car park was closed and resurfaced and is now being used for extra coach parking.
- New bus station car park: The replacement 56-space long-stay car park, footpaths and street furniture has been installed on the grounds of the former police station and is due to open towards the end of August 2020. Vehicular access will be from Frog Lane and pedestrian access is from the bus station and Frog Lane.
- Landscaping: The former sites of the police station and bus station buildings is being landscaped, which will be completed in the autumn of 2020.
This project is a step towards improving the Birmingham Road gateway site, while our the long-terms plans for this area are progressed.
- July 2019 – planning application approved Lichfield District Council’s Planning Committee, subject to conditions. View the planning application.
- September 2019 – contractors appointed to carry out temporary works. Find out more.
- January 2020 – improvement work started on site.
- March 2020 - work put on hold due to Covid-19
- Summer 2020 – improvement works complete.