The short-term improvements to the Birmingham Road site got underway in January 2020. They will improve the look and feel of the area, as well as prepare it for later development, and provide a better route into the city from the train and bus stations.
We have appointed The Coleman Group to carry out the works. This is where they have got up to:
- Compound & site set up: Fencing went up and the site compound was set up. A tree next to the former police station was pruned to protect it.
- Bus station toilets: The bus station toilets were closed and replaced with two temporary unisex toilets and a disabled toilet. New longer-term facilities have also been installed and will be opened soon.
- Police station demolished: The former police station interior fittings were taken out and the building was demolished and the rubble/waste has been recycled.
- Bus station improvements: The bus station has been re-surfaced and the bus stops refreshed and new street furniture, including benches and bins, installed. The bus station has remained open throughout the works.
- Bus station buildings: The bus station buildings and toilets have been demolished.
- Closure of bus station car park: The 50-space bus station car park was closed and resurfaced and is now being used for extra coach parking. Bus station car park season tickets can be used at any council run long-stay car park in the city until the new car park is open. For nearby car parks see our city centre car park map.
- New temporary car park: The replacement 56-space long-stay car park, footpaths and street furniture is being installed on the grounds of the police station.
- Landscaping: The former sites of the police station and bus station buildings is being landscaped.
The works are a step towards improving the Birmingham Road site, while our long-term masterplan is completed, which will shape the future growth of Lichfield city centre.
We had hoped the project would be completed in the spring, but the coronavirus outbreak has meant the work was put on hold in March 2020, which will impact the completion date. However, work has now resumed and we expect it to be completed later in the summer.
- July 2019 – planning application approved Lichfield District Council’s Planning Committee, subject to conditions. View the planning application.
- September 2019 – contractors appointed to carry out temporary works. Find out more.
- January 2020 – improvement work started on site.
- Summer 2020 – improvement works complete.