Birmingham Road Gateway
The Birmingham Road Gateway area has been earmarked for redevelopment for a number of years.
In 2020 the council carried out short-term works to improve the look and feel of the area, as well as prepare it for later development, and provide a better route into the city from the train and bus stations.
This included the demolition of Lichfield’s old police station, bus station shops, kiosk and public toilets.
The bus station was also refurbished, which included re-surfacing the road and installing new public toilets, bins and benches and refreshing the bus shelters.
The project also saw Visit Lichfield hoardings put up and landscaping works.
The site includes:
- An area of land on the corner St John Street and Birmingham Road
- The bus station and new bus station car park
- The former police station site
- The site of former housing next to the police station
- The multi-storey car park on Birmingham Road/Frog Lane