Terms of reference – Lichfield District Safety Advisory Group
Aims and objectives of the SAG
It is our objective when involved in, or when made aware of certain large or high risk events to uphold reasonable standards of public safety and to encourage the wellbeing of the public, operatives and competitors.
We will coordinate a safety advisory group (SAG) to provide a forum for discussing and advising on public safety at certain events. The SAG aims to help organisers with the planning, and management of an event and to encourage cooperation and coordination between all relevant agencies. The SAG is a non-statutory body and so does not have legal powers or responsibilities, and is not empowered to approve or prohibit events from taking place. However, individual enforcing authorities may choose to take their own enforcement action if they have concerns about the event.
Event organisers and others involved in the running of an event, retain the principal legal duties for ensuring public safety.
The purpose of the SAG is to assist event organisers and other key partners in exercising safety and other public protection functions.
The SAG will:
- Advise the local authority and /or event organisers in order to ensure high standards of health and safety.
- Advise on minimising any inconvenience to local residents, businesses and the general public.
- Promote good practice in safety and welfare planning.
- Promote a consistent and coordinated, multi-agency, approach to event planning and management.
- Focus resources using risk assessment and facilitating proportionate advice and regulation.
- Enable effective planning to facilitate less intensive monitoring and inspection.
- Support businesses and organisers through having a single point of contact within each relevant agency/authority and by providing consistent professional advice and support.
- Increase good publicity and encourage more business and visitor engagement through safer events.
- Share good practice.
- Consider the implications of significant incidents and events relevant to the surrounding areas and facilities.
- Receive reports relevant to debriefs, visits and / or inspections of a venue or event.
The SAG cannot take any decisions on behalf of the local authority, its role is advisory.
Ultimate responsibility for the event safety lies with the event organiser and their event management team.