Coronavirus community support
Helping those in need
Across Lichfield District, individuals and organisations have stepped up to help others who are self isolating by:
- collecting prescriptions
- doing shopping
- offering friendship, check-ins and chats.
To help try and make sure no one misses out on vital support, we are contacting:
- people who have been in touch with us asking for help
- people who we know may be more vulnerable at this difficult time.
By calling people we are able to:
- check if they have had a letter from the NHS because they are at risk of severe illness if they catch coronavirus, helping them register if needed
- check if they need any essential shopping and help them with that
- show them where to get help getting medicine
- offer them the option of telephone befriending if they are feeling lonely and isolated and want someone to speak to.
If you are vulnerable and need help, please call us on 0333 220 3088 for help with your shopping and to access other support. The phone line is available from 9am to 5pm on weekdays.
Local voluntary and community support
We have also been working with voluntary and community organisations as well as local councillors, to collate and map information about what support is available at a local level, from a few streets to the whole of the district.
For information about what support is available from local voluntary and community organisations please contact Claire Ferris at Support Staffordshire or see Support Staffordshire's directory of organisations.
Check in and chat
Social isolation is presenting challenges for many of us and means that lots of the groups and activities that normally take place across the district have had to be suspended.
MHA Live at Home Schemes in Burntwood & Lichfield are easing the feeling of social isolation and loneliness by offering a telephone befriending service to all older people over 60.
Adequately trained, DBS checked, volunteer telephone befrienders will make contact with older people either daily, weekly or bi-weekly to offer companionship, signposting and trusted support. This service will be available seven days a week.
If you or someone you know wants a telephone befriending service and they are under 60, Live at Home will be able to signpost to another organisation.