Support for businesses - Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Discretionary business grant fund
The deadline to apply for the discretionary business grant has now passed.
The government is providing financial support for small and micro businesses that were not eligible for assistance in the small business grant fund or the retail, leisure and hospitality grant fund. This additional support is via a local authority discretionary business grants fund.
Our policy has been reviewed to assist even more businesses, but please note that this scheme ends on 24 August 2020.
We have updated our policy around who these grants are predominantly aimed at as follows:
- Small and micro businesses, as defined in paragraphs 20 to 22 of the guidance. Guidance advised that homeworkers should be excluded from the grant. However, an exception will be made for local public event organisers and traders who work from home and who also host events locally or bring their goods to trade at local events.
- Businesses with relatively high ongoing fixed property-related costs.
- Businesses that can demonstrate that they have suffered a significant fall in income due to the COVID-19 crisis.
- Businesses that occupy property, or part of a property, with a rateable value or annual rent or annual mortgage payments below £51,000.
- Businesses that are unable to open or who are still affected by the COVID-19 crisis and their profits remain significantly affected.
We will consider the following types of businesses for grants in line with national guidance;
- Small businesses in shared offices, other flexible workspaces and those who satisfy the criteria above. Regular market traders with fixed building costs, such as rent.
- Bed & breakfasts that pay council tax instead of business rates (‘Airbnb’ businesses are excluded from applying for this grant).
- Charity properties in receipt of charitable business rates relief which would otherwise have been eligible for small business rates relief or rural rate relief.
Many businesses have already received a grant and the remaining funding available will be shared.
Further information and advice
If you have any questions or need further advice on this fund, please contact email us.