Our homelessness service
Homelessness application process
In line with the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017 the application is in three stages.
The Prevention Duty
We will where possible try to prevent you from becoming homeless by mediating with your landlord or family, helping you with a loan or grant to reduce rent arrears, assisting you to maximise your income and advising you on your rights as a tenant etc. This duty lasts for up to 56 days, unless you become homeless before this when the next stage of the process begins. You will be advised and helped to make a Housing Register application at this stage.
The Relief Duty
If we are unable to prevent you from becoming homeless, or are already homeless you will be awarded the Relief Duty and given an appropriate priority on the Housing Register. Again this duty lasts for 56 days and during this period we will continue to advise and help you to find accommodation. Once this period has elapsed and if you have been unable to secure accommodation then you will be considered for the Main Housing Duty.
Main Housing Duty
This duty is only awarded to applications that meet certain criteria.
- You have a priority need (for instance, dependent children that live with you, or medical condition that would make you vulnerable)
- You are eligible, in that you are a UK citizen and not subject to any immigration control and have recourse to public funds
- You are not Intentionally Homeless in that your actions have caused your homelessness
- You have a local connection to the Lichfield District through residence, employment or close family ties
If awarded Main Duty you will be given the “Emergency Band” on the Housing Register.
For more information see Shelter's website.
If you do not qualify for the Main Housing Duty you will be informed in writing as to the reasons why, and you have the right of review should you disagree with decision (see Review Process) Details of the review process will be supplied with the decision letter.
If you do not qualify you will remain on the Housing Register with the appropriate priority banding.
From the very beginning of the process we will need you to supply supporting information which may include:
- Valid photo ID such as a Passport or Driving licence
- Citizenship and/or Immigration status
- Court Orders
- Notice of Possession Proceedings
- Income details
- Rent statements
- Crime Numbers
- Supporting letters from Health Care workers
- Supporting information from other Agencies that are helping you