COVID-19 updates for taxis and PHVs
Temporary protective screens
With the need to protect both drivers and customers, we are working to help the trade to continue working where possible throughout the outbreak, with steps to mitigate the risks to drivers and passengers.
We have considered requests to install a protective screen in between the rear passenger compartment and the driver and will agree the installation of a temporary protective screen.
The protective screen must:
- be clear and transparent and fitted across the rear of both front seats, creating a partition between the front and rear cabin area of the vehicle
- only be fitted by either velcro or adhesive fastenings, which can be removed from the vehicle when the screens are no longer permitted
However, the protective screen must not:
- be permanently installed in the vehicle
- have a solid frame to the screen
- affect the structural integrity of the vehicle, or interfere with any manufacturer fitted safety equipment e.g. airbags
- wrap around the driver seat and create a partition between the two front seats, in addition to the rear cabin area
If any driver wishes to fit a temporary protective screen in their vehicle, they must first:
- notify our licensing team of their intention to install a screen and confirm (by email) it will not result in their insurer refusing to cover the vehicle
- agree to remove the protective screen within a maximum of 14 days after the social distancing restrictions relating to COVID-19 have been removed