Council consults on changes to street trading policy
Event organisers are being urged to have their say on a number of proposed interim changes to Lichfield District Council’s street trading policy.
Following feedback from a number of event organisers, Lichfield District Council is proposing a number of changes to the policy that sets out how the local authority manages street trading, including stalls that trade at special events.
To make sure the policy is sensitive to the needs of event organisers, while ensuring the safety of visitors, the council is proposing a number of changes to its policy.
Suggestions to the street trading policy include:
- Reducing the cost of street trading consents for stalls that do not sell food or drink at special events, as fewer checks are needed when processing these applications.
- Reducing the deposit for events that do not have any food or drink stalls.
- Checking that an event is financially viable, to reduce the risk of an event being cancelled at the last minute due to a lack of budgeting by the event organiser.
- Not requiring a deposit if an event has fewer than 20 stalls.
- Asking organisers to show how they will reduce the impact their event will have on the environment.
Councillor Angela Lax, Cabinet Member for Legal & Regulatory Services, said:
“We want to promote Lichfield as a city with a vibrant mix of events and festivals. For well-run events, we want to work with event organisers to make sure that our street trading policy is right for the city and district.
“We hope they will feed into this consultation as now is their chance to tell us if they support our proposals and to give their suggestions.
“Our ambition is to support a range of events that attract people to the city and district, to boost the local economy and tourism.”
The consultation will run until 5pm on 23 August. To read all the proposed changes to the policy, visit www.lichfielddc.gov.uk/stpconsultation and give your views by emailing email@example.com or in writing to Licensing, District Council House, Frog Lane, Lichfield WS13 6ZE