New Fradley roads to be given local history link
Individuals from Fradley’s history are to have their names preserved through street names on a new local housing development.
Lichfield District Council is responsible for street naming in the district and would like to hear from surviving relatives to gain their consent to use the names.
The proposed new street names will be:
- Goring Drive
- Oakden Crescent
- Elson Road
- Woolley Drive
- Gilbert Close
- Green Walk
- Lea Close
- Mansell Avenue
- Smith Close
The names being used have been chosen from:
- The first families to occupy Old Hall Farm - Humphrey Gilbert - (owned Old Hall Farm until 1672)
- William Goring (owned Old Hall Farm from 1672 – 1710)
- Tenant farmers of Old Hall Farm - William, Robert and Joseph Smith (1825-1832)
- The first head teacher of St. Stephens Primary School - Miss Lea
- Individuals that farmed the village in the 1960’s including – Joseph Green (Died - 27/01/68), William T.A. Elson (Died 15/01/72), Joseph Oakden (Died - 20/12/79), Thomas Mansell (Died - 04/11/98), Reginald Woolley (1925 – 2006), John Woolley (1922 – 2012)
“We are delighted to be able to link Fradley’s past to its future development by naming roads after individuals connected with the village’s history.
“As part of the street naming process we need to give relatives the opportunity to tell us if they would rather the names are not used.”