Householder permitted development guidance

To find out the planning history of your property, including whether it has any permitted development rights (removed or not by a planning condition on a previous or original planning permission), we recommended you: 

  • Email us at to request a householder local search. This will provide you with a list of all planning application numbers relating to your residential property - a fee applies. 
  • Once you have the list of relevant application numbers, you could then view the application decisions on our website (if it is since 2006). Alternatively, contact the development management team to buy a copy of the decision notice (£10 each), or visit our Frog Lane offices to see the planning decision notice - advance notice of this is recommended. The conditions of the planning permission will state whether or not permitted development rights for a development have been removed.
  • For help on what permitted development is and to see the categories of permitted development please refer to Schedule 2 Part 1 of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 2015, as amended.

Will I need planning permission?

To find out if you need planning permission, having viewed the property history, you can then: 

  • Review the interactive guidance for householders on the Planning Portal.
  • Seek further advice and/or confirmation from the council following the above, then you could submit a certificate of lawfulness for proposed development. Details of how to do this and application forms and fees applicable can be found at Planning Portal.
  • Submit a pre-application householder enquiry. To find out more visit our pre-application guidance

Contact us

We have a duty planning officer service between 8.45am to 12.30pm, where you can speak to a planning officer to seek general verbal advice/help about the process. However, we cannot provide details of any site history or carry out searches of planning site history over the phone, so we will not be able to advise whether your permitted development rights have been removed.

We recommend you email us at to carry out a local search at a fee.

Alternatively, find out about our pre-application advice.