Advice on common works to a home

Running a small business from your home

You do not usually need planning permission to run a business from your property, if only part of your home is used for business purposes. 

The test that we use to decide if you need planning permission is whether the overall character of your home would change as a result of the business.

You might need to apply for planning permission to work from home if:

  • your home is no longer used mainly as your private residence.
  • your business leads to a noticeable increase in traffic or people calling at your property.
  • your business involves any activities that are unusual in a residential area.
  • your business disturbs your neighbours at unreasonable hours or causes other nuisances such as noise or smells.

The Planning Portal offers guidance on whether you need to apply for planning permission before starting a business from your home

If you are still unsure, you can apply for pre-application advice to discuss your plans with us.

If you have read the information above and are confident that you do not need planning permission to start a business from your home, you can apply for a Lawful Development Certificate to confirm this.