Difference between planning and building control
Building control consent
Building control consent is required to:
- Make sure that acceptable standards of health and safety are achieved in and around buildings.
- Specify minimum standards of performance for important building design elements such as structural stability, weather resistance and fire safety.
- Set minimum standards for access and facilities for people with disabilities.
- Specify measures to control energy consumption.
Building control provide inspections to that all new building works meets the standards set out in building regulations.
These are not things that are checked by the planning team.
- Apply for building control consent