Larger home extensions

If you are a homeowner, you must notify us and provide us the required information if you wish to build a larger single-storey rear extension that will either:

  • extend detached houses between 4 and 8 metres
  • extend any other type of house outside Article 2(3) land* and sites of special scientific interest between 3 and 6 metres
    • * Land within a national park, the broads, an area of outstanding natural beauty, an area designated as a conservation area and land within world heritage sites.

You can apply online on the Planning Portal.

See the required process in paragraph A.4 at

Please note: It is not possible to undertake this process retrospectively.