Waste less guide
Waste less plastic - advice for businesses
With the increasing awareness of the harm it is doing to the environment, we're urging local businesses to consider how they can cut down the amount of single-use plastic their business produces and to encourage them to recycle more.
As part of this we have produced a flyer that features six tips about how to avoid using single-use plastics in their businesses.
The tips are to:
- sell items, such as fruit and vegetables, loose rather than in packaging
- encourage bring-your-own cups and charge extra for single-use cups
- Provide paper bags and encourage customers to use their own
- Offer condiments in bottles and jars
- Use washable plates and cutlery or biodegradable items
- Switch to paper straws and only offer them when requested
The tips will be most relevant to shops, bars and cafes, but all businesses can take a moment to consider how they can reduce the plastic they generate.
Set up waste & recycling collections
We are also encouraging businesses to recycle as much of their waste as possible. You can do this by setting up a recycling collection.
Our shared waste service offers competitive business waste and recycling collections. These can be arranged by calling the team on 01543 687580 or 01543 687588 or by emailing waste.strategy[email protected].