Alternative energy grants

If you live in a park, mobile or care home, or off the electricity grid

If you live in a park, mobile or care home, or off the electricity grid, you may be eligible for a £400 Energy Bill Support Scheme Alternative Fund (EBSS AF) support payment. For example, this could be because you live:

  • in a park home.
  • in a care home.
  • on a houseboat.
  • in a mobile home.
  • on a farm.
  • off the electricity grid.


  • your home has a communal electricity supply.
  • your home has a non-domestic electricity connection.
  • your home does not have a contract with an electricity supplier.
  • you live in a care home or sheltered and supported accommodation
  • you pay for some or part of your care fees (directly or through loss of pension or other benefits)

Who cannot apply

You do not need to apply if you or your landlord:

  • has a domestic energy meter
  • pay your bills directly to an energy supplier (such as British Gas or EDF)

You cannot apply if you’ve already had Energy Bills Support Scheme payments. This is six automatic monthly payments or prepayment meter vouchers of £66 or £67 from your energy supplier, from October 2022.

If you think you should have got a payment but have not, contact your energy supplier.

You also cannot apply for a discount if you live:

  • in purpose-built student accommodation.
  • in a care home where all your fees are paid by the local council or NHS.
  • on a boat as a continuous cruiser (currently under review).
  • on a non-permanent caravan or mobile home site (currently under review).
  • in accommodation provided by your employer (such as seasonal workers, ‘service occupiers’, security guards, building caretakers).
  • in a building where you are acting as a property guardian.
  • in business premises, such as a pub or hotel, where your address is the same as the business address.

Before you start

You will need:

  • an email address or phone number (if you have one)
  • your bank account details (a UK current account in your name)

If you’re not registered for council tax

You’ll need to upload proof of address (such as a full, current UK driving licence or tenancy agreement) as part of your application.

If you live in a care home

You’ll also need to upload either:

  • an invoice for your care home fees from the past 3 months
  • an official document from the care home including your name and address, a funding statement and the name and address of the care home

Apply online

Apply now

If you pay for your energy through an intermediary

You may not get the full amount of support if you pay through an intermediary - for example the manager of a park or mobile home. However, the manager or landlord must pass on the benefit in a fair and reasonable way. This is called the ‘pass-through requirement’ for energy price support.

What you need to know

After you apply via the government portal, we will check you live at the address you apply for and that you use alternative fuels to heat your home.

You’ll be told about the progress of your application by email or letter. You should get a response within 6 weeks.

If you’re eligible, we will arrange a one-off payment.

Due to annual billing and the implementation of a new local council tax support scheme, we will not start processing claims until late March/early April 2023, and we expect the first payments to be made in early/mid April 2023.

If you need help to apply

If you cannot apply online or need help with your application, contact the helpline team.

Telephone: 0808 175 3287
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges