Tree works

Apply to work on protected tree

Anyone can apply to carry out work on a protected tree. You can also apply for consent for trees that are not on your land, for example, to prune an overhanging branch from a neighbour's tree. Please ensure you do not begin work on the tree until we have granted permission.

You can submit your application using the government Planning Portal - you will receive a receipt of your application after submitting it.

Although you may submit applications by post or email, it is a more complicated process, and we strongly recommend you apply online through the government's Planning Portal website.

Please send your completed application/notification forms and any associated documents by email to Development Control or by post or in person to our offices marked:

Planning Admin, Development Management, District Council House, Frog Lane, Lichfield, Staffs, WS13 6YZ

Please ensure that your application is accurate and complete. This will help us deal with your application more efficiently.

In your application you must specify which tree is to be worked on, what you want to do and why. More information can be found in the application guidance notes.

Working on a tree without consent

If work is carried out on a protected tree/tree in conservation area, without consent, which damages or destroys the tree(s), you could face an unlimited fine if convicted in the magistrates court. 

In determining the amount of the fine, the court will take into account any financial benefit arising from the offence. For lesser offences that are unlikely to destroy a tree, you could be fined up to £2,500.

You will normally have to plant a replacement tree if the tree was cut down or destroyed.