Complain about a council service

The Local Government Ombudsman

If, at the end of the our two-stage complaints process, you are not satisfied with the outcome, you can contact the Local Government Ombudsman.

The ombudsman provides an impartial and confidential service free of charge and investigates allegations of maladministration causing injustice to the person who has complained.

If you do contact the ombudsman, you will be asked if your complaint could be settled locally, so you must try to resolve your complaint through our complaints procedure first.

You can view the Local Government Ombudsman's website, call them on 0845 602 1983, or write to:

Local Government Ombudsman, The Oaks, No.2, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry CV4 8JB.