We will investigate complaints about ongoing/repeated neighbourhood noise (such as music, noisy dogs etc) and noise from retail/commercial (such as bars and restaurants) and industrial premises, if they are affecting residents/businesses at their home/business property.
Urgent/out of hours complaints
We do not operate a 24 hour response to noise complaints. We aim to respond to complaints logged through this form within five working days, Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm.
What we won’t investigate
We will not usually investigate noise complaints about:
- children playing
- a one-off party or celebration
- normal household noise during reasonable hours, such as washing machines and tumble driers, doors shutting, flushing toilets, footsteps, and talking/conversation
- issues caused by houses having poor sound insulation
- road traffic and rail noise
- aircraft – find out more about aircraft noise
We recommend you contact the noisemaker before making a complaint
Before submitting a complaint, we suggest you first contact the noisemaker, provided you are comfortable to do so – why not download our letter template. Contacting the noisemaker may resolve the problem more quickly and often leads to a better long term solution.
What to expect when you submit a complaint
This form asks for your agreement to take part in recording/logging the noise issue. Once you submit your form, we will send you a log sheet or details of our NoiseApp, which you can use as an alternative to the log sheet. The log sheets/NoiseApp help us assess the scale of the issue and the impact on your life. If you do not complete the log sheets/use the NoiseApp, it will hamper our ability to investigate your problem.
We are sorry but we cannot take anonymous complaints through this form. We discourage anonymous complaints as we cannot take enforcement action without assessing the impacts of the problem on your life.
As part of this form, we will ask you for your email address. This is so we can keep you up to date on what we will do to resolve/address your issue. Because of the confidentiality of noise reports, your report will not be saved into your my account.
Please use this form to report the following:
- Neighbourhood noise – such as repeated music, house/car alarms, DIY at unreasonable hours, barking dogs/other pet noise etc.
- Noise from commercial premises – such as music, noisy customers, ventilation systems, alarms etc.
- Noise from industrial/manufacturing premises – such as construction, demolition, alarms etc.