Taxi driver licences
If you want to work as a taxi driver in Lichfield district, you will need to apply to us for a combined private hire and hackney carriage driver licence.
This will allow you to drive a licenced hackney carriage or licenced private hire vehicle.
- You cannot apply for separate licences to drive private hire and/or hackney carriages - we only offer a combined licence.
- All licences are for three years. You cannot apply for a shorter or longer time period.
- We no longer accept paper applications or cash/cheque payments - your application and payment must be made online.
- If you own your own vehicle(s) that you would like to use as a hackney carriage/private hire vehicle, you will need to apply for a vehicle licence.
- If you want to operate as a private hire vehicle and take bookings, you will also need a private hire operator's licence.
Before applying for a taxi driver licence, we recommend you read our guidance notes and have the following information to hand:
- A passport style digital photograph (read the guidance)
- Your national insurance number
- Your UK driving licence
- Your eight digit DVLA check code (read the guidance)
- The expiry date on your CHC medical certificate (if you have one)
- Your 12 digit DBS certificate number, if you are signed up to the DBS update service. The number starts with 00 (read the guidance)