Temporary event notices (TENs)

You will need a temporary event notice (TEN) if you want to carry out a licensable activity on unlicensed premises.

Licensable activities include, but are not limited to, selling alcohol, supplying alcohol to members of a club and providing regulated entertainment, such as music or plays.

You will also need a TEN if the licensable activity you wish to carry out is not included in the terms of your existing licence, e.g. holding a wedding reception at a community centre.

Events covered by TENs must:

  • not host more than 499 people at all times – including staff running the event. For larger events, find out about premises licences.
  • last no more than 168 hours (7 days)

How to apply

You can only apply for a TEN as an individual, not an organisation.

You must apply at least 10 clear working days before your event. This does not include the day you apply and the day of your event. A late TEN can be given in exceptional circumstances - find out more.

You will have to pay a fee of £21 - make sure you have your debit or credit card handy.

Apply on www.gov.uk

Before submitting a TEN please ensure that it can be used in accordance with current COVID regulations and guidance. There may be circumstances whereby a TEN has been acknowledged but will not be able to be utilised as it would not be appropriate to do so. This would then be subject to the statutory fee and your legal limits affected. Please contact a member of the licensing team should you require any further information.

For more information download the licensing act government guidance.

Download a word version of the form here