Temporary event notices (TENs)

Alcohol licences

You will need a temporary event notice (TEN) if you want to carry out a licensable activity on unlicensed premises.

Licensable activities include, but are not limited to, selling alcohol, supplying alcohol to members of a club and providing regulated entertainment, such as music or plays.

You will also need a TEN if the licensable activity you wish to carry out is not included in the terms of your existing licence, e.g. holding a wedding reception at a community centre.

Events covered by TENs must:

  • not host more than 499 people at all times – including staff running the event. For larger events, find out about premises licences.
  • last no more than 168 hours (7 days)

You must apply at least 10 clear working days before your event. This does not include the day you apply and the day of your event. A late TEN can be given in exceptional circumstances - find out more.