Advice on common works to a home

Dropped kerbs and parking

Driveways and dropped kerbs
Permitted development for driveways

You do not usually need to apply for planning permission to change your front garden into a paved driveway, on the condition that:

  • the area of the hard surface would be more than 5 sqm.
  • the hard surface is either made of porous materials, or you can confirm that any water would run off onto another porous area on your land.

There are permitted development rights in place to change your front garden to a paved driveway. View the relevant planning legislation on installing a driveway under permitted development 

You will also need to apply to Staffordshire County Council Highways to be able to install a dropped kerb allowing access to the driveway from the public highway. Find out more information about dropped kerbs. 

Should you wish to drop the kerb onto a classified highway (classes A, B, C) you will require planning permission.