Skip to content

Councillor allowances

Councillors are not paid a salary. They do, however, receive an annual allowance to reimburse them for time they have spent on council duties and any costs they may incur as a result. Find out more below:

Back To Top

What are councillors paid?

On top of an annual allowance, councillors that hold certain posts, such as chairman, cabinet member or leader of the council, also receive a special responsibility allowance.

All councillors also get an allowance to cover IT and office expenses they may incur whilst carrying out their duties. They can also claim for expenses such as travel.

All councillors are also entitled to claim a carer's allowance if they have to pay for someone to look after a dependent person whilst they are on council duty. 

Councillors' allowances are agreed in May for the following twelve months.

View the latest councillors' allowances

View the payments to councillors for the past year

Back To Top

Which councillors get a special responsibility allowance?

Some councillors hold particular roles in the council that require them to spend more time at the council and working on formal council business - these include our chairman and vice chairman, our leader, deputy leader and cabinet members, committee chairs and vice chairs, and the leader and deputy leader of the principle minority group.

In recognition of their roles and responsibilities, these councillor receive a special responsibility allowance, which differs depending on the role they hold. 

The following roles receive a special responsibility allowance: 

Chairman and vice chairman

  • Chairman of Lichfield District Council
  • Vice Chairman of Lichfield District Council

These roles can also claim civic duties expenses up to a maximum amount.

Council leader and cabinet members

  • Leader of the Council
  • Deputy Leader of the Council and Cabinet Member for Economic Growth, Development & Environment
  • Cabinet Member for Finance & Democracy
  • Cabinet Member for Housing & Health
  • Cabinet Member for Tourism & Communications
  • Cabinet Member for Community
  • Cabinet Member for Leisure & Parks
  • Cabinet Member for Waste Management

Committee chairs and vice chairs

  • Chair of Community, Housing and Environmental Health Overview & Scrutiny Committee 
  • Chair of Environment & Development Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee
  • Chair of Strategic Overview and Scrutiny Committee 
  • Chair Operational Services, Leisure, Tourism and Communications Overview and Scrutiny Committee
  • Chair of Standards Committee 
  • Vice Chair of the Standards Committee*
  • Chair of Audit Committee 
  • Chair of Planning Committee 
  • Vice Chair of Planning Committee 
  • Chair of Regulatory and Licensing Committee 
  • Vice Chair of Regulatory and Licensing Committee
  • Chair of Employment Committee 
  • Chair of Parish Forum 
  • Chair of Lichfield Disability Partnership Panel 

* gets paid per meeting, rather than an annual allowance

Principle minority group

  • Leader of the principal minority group
  • Deputy Leader of the principal minority group

Where a councillor could claim more than one special responsibility allowance, the councillor is entitled to claim only one such allowance, which will be the higher of the special responsibility allowances payable.

To find out how much special responsibility allowance councillors received this year, view this year's councillor allowances.

Back To Top

Other payments

Travelling and subsistence expenses
Councillors are also entitled to claim travelling and subsistence expenses when performing council duties.

Overnight expenses
Councillors who attend an annual conference approved by the council, and stay away from home for one or more nights, may also claim £25 a night to cover out-of-pocket expenses.

Carers' allowance
If a councillor has to pay for the care of a dependant (a child under the age of 14, an elderly person aged over 60, a disabled person, or someone with learning difficulties) whilst they are on council duties, and the dependant normally lives with them, they are then reimbursed up to a maximum limit.

To see how much councillors claimed last year, view last year's councillor allowances.  

To view historic allowances, view our data on the Government's data website.

Services A - ZSee all services
Get in touch or visit...

Our location and travel details >>

Phone our contact centre: 01543 308 000
District Council House, Frog Lane, Lichfield, Staffs, WS13 6YY

If you need to contact a team direct, please visit our contacts page for team phone numbers and email addresses.

Opening times

Our main reception at Frog Lane in Lichfield is open Monday - Friday, 8.45am - 5.15pm. Our phone lines close at 5pm.